Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Varitek's Timetable, the Sulton of Sodium, and the Texas Tea-Party

In a report from Tony Massarotti from the Boston Globe, free agent catcher Jason Varitek has two options of contracts from the RedSox for the 2009 season/2010 Season. Varitek can take a one year $5 million contract to stay with the RedSox. Or Varitek can sign a contract for $5 million in 2009 with a team option for $5 million in 2010/ player option for $3 million in 2010 (Varitek's safe guard if the Sox don't decide to pick up his second year). This deal is significantly less than the money that Varitek would've made if he accepted arbitration (at least $11-$12 million for 2009). The catch is that Varitek has until January 31st (Saturday) to accept this deal.

As a Boston Fan I hope he resigns something. But I don't think Boston should stop there, they need to go out and get the catcher of the future. George Kottaras is not the future. He did a nice job in Triple-A last year in a platoon. I think he would be a nice young option for a back up catcher but Boston needs to go out and get the catcher of the future.

According to the Star-Telegram out of Dallas though, the Rangers are willing to deal Jarrod Saltalamacchia (The Sultan of Sodium as according to Andy Behrens of Yahoo! Fantasy Sports) straight up for Clay Buchholz. But I don't believe that's the deal to make.

If I were Theo, I would go out and get Taylor Teagarden. I would take Clay Buchholz and package him with another young low level pitcher (Like a Kris Johnson in Portland) and get this deal done! Teagarden is only a career minor league .267 hitter, but he has plus power (.509 slugging%) and has a good eye to get on base (.390 on base%). Teagarden also had a .991 fielding percentage in four minor league seasons. He's only 24 and he is only going to get better.

If Boston can secure Teagarden and get Varitek you would have solved a future need for catching, as well as having a veteran teacher presence in Varitek.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want not agree on it. I regard as nice post. Specially the title attracted me to be familiar with the sound story.

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.